- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large banana, diced
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 can organic black beans, rinse and drained (we love the Eden Organics brand, their cans are BPA-free and they do not add salt)
- handful cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (or 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder for a little kick)
- Sea salt & fresh pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Dough (see below for recipe)
In a large saute pan, add coconut oil and onions, saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add bananas, saute until they begin to caramelize. Toss in black beans, cumin, paprika and season with salt and pepper. Cook until beans are heated through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in fresh cilantro.
Roll out dough, use a drinking cup to cut out circles. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the bean-banana mixture into each circle. Fold the circle in half and press the edges lightly. Using the back of a fork, press down to seal the edges.
Place empanadas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly spray with olive oil (we love using the Prepara Mister for this job but if you don’t have one you can use a basting brush), sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and paprika.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve alongside fresh salsa, guacamole or make a simple “Lime Aioli” with plain greek yogurt, fresh lime juice/zest, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, and sea salt.
To make the dough:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (we love the gluten free AP flour from Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubs (we love the pasture butter from Organic Valley)
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles a course meal.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, water and vinegar. Add to flour mixture and mix together with a fork until just incorporated.
Turn out mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead together until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least one hour.